Eatonton History

Chronology
1805
  • Baldwin County organized from lands ceded by the Creek Nation
1806
  • Victory Church was the first Methodist church west of the Oconee River
1807
  • Site for Eatonton determined
  • Putnam and Morgan Counties were incorporated, Decmber 10, 1807
  • Crooked Creek Primitive Baptist Chusrch was organized
1808
  • Eatonton was named for William Eaton, a military hero from Connecticut
  • The first Putnam County elections were held on January 14, 540 votes were cast
  • The site for Eatonton was laid off into streets and squares, each square being divided into six one-half acre lots and sold at public auction on April 15, 1808
1809
  • Union Academy was chartered
1810
  • A log courthouse was built on the town square
  • 1810 Census reported Putnam County had a popluation of 10,029 persons
1812
  • Victory Church's name was changed to Concord Methodist Church
1816
  • Alonzo Church becomes headmaster of Union Academy and changes the school's name to Eatonton Academy
  • Georgia State Penitentiary was completed in Milledgeville
1818
  • The Eatonton Academy Library Society, organized by Alonzo Church, was chartered
1819
  • Union Church built, this was the first church built in Eatonton
1836
  • Eatonton Cotton Factory was built, it was the second built in Georgia
1845
  • Joel Chandler Harris is born
1854
  • Eatonton obtains a spur track to Milledgeville which would connect with the Central of Georgia railroad
1861
  • Putnam Brown Rifles were organized and would become part of Company B of the 3rd Regiment of Georgia Infantry
  • Putnam Light Infantry joins Company G of the 12th Regiment of Georgia Infantry Volunteers
1862
  • Forty-one Putnam boys, all under fifteen years of age, form the Eatonton Light Guards and join the 27th Georgia Battalion
  • Harris left Eatonton to work as a printer's devil on The Countryman published by Joseph Addison Turner on his Putnam County plantation, Turnworld
1863
  • Hundreds of wounded are brought into Eatonton, Madison, Milledgeville, and Greensboro following the Battle of Chickamauga
1864
  • In November William T. Sherman travels through Eatonton, Madison, Milledgeville, and Greensboro on his March to the Sea
1868
  • A clause in the Georgia Constitution for the removal of the state capital from Milledgeville to Atlanta passed
1880
  • Benjamin Hunt becomes the first Georgia member of American Jersey Cattle Club
  • Hunt's "Madame Roland" was the first Jersey cow to take up residence in the county
1886
  • Hunt builds the first silo in Georgia
1900
  • By 1900 there are ten active dairies in Putnam County
1909
  • Hunt's cooperative creamery, the Eatonton Creamery, was chartered with 58 members
1922
  • Benjamin Hunt is awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Georgia
1925
  • Flannery O'Connor is born
1930
  • Rock Eagle becomes part of the Works Project Administration (WPA)
1933
  • Briarpatch Farms Project
1944
  • Alice Walker is born
1952
  • First Dairy Festival
1964
  • Flannery O'Connor dies of lupus in Milledgeville


Home


Information taken from 1985 Walking Tour of Homes published by the Eatonton-Putnam County Historical Society and
Oconee River Tales to Tell by Katherine Walters.
line
Created 5 June 2000. Last Updated Friday, December 15, 2000.
© 2000 Eatonton Literary Festival